Did you brush your teeth this morning? Did you help your kids brush their teeth? What about your pets’ teeth? When you go to the store to get a new toothbrush or a tube of toothpaste, do you do the same for your fur baby?
Did you know that tooth and gum issues are one of the most common health concerns with cats and dogs? Much like their owners, plaque and tartar can build up on their teeth and can lead to a cavity, periodontal disease and gingivitis. If your cuddly kitty or loyal puppy does not have a current regiment for oral hygiene care, then it’s time to start.
Your dog’s breath may not always smell like roses, but if you notice it starting to get worse than normal, this could be a sign of a dental problem. Pets will sometimes avoid, or have difficulty eating when they are experiencing pain in their mouth. The best way to prevent this from happening is the same as it is for humans: brushing your pets’ teeth regularly, eating healthy teeth-friendly foods, and visiting the vet for regular check-ups. Pet stores and vet offices sell toothbrushes and tooth paste designed specifically for cats and dogs.
Tips To Help Keep Your Pets Teeth Clean:
- Wrap a piece of gauze around your finger to massage their gums while cleaning each tooth.
- Give him or her the opportunity to taste the toothpaste before you try brushing their teeth.
- At each visit, have the vet do a hand scaling to get all the plaque and tartar off.
- Your vet may recommend a more in-depth cleaning treatment that can prevent costly dental vet bills or tooth extractions in the future.
- Take a look at the food you are feeding your feline and canine friends. Typically, big hard crunchy pieces of kibble are the best to help keep their teeth clean.
- Canned food, soft smaller treats and kibble are good for once in a while treats, not as part of their everyday diet.
- Look for foods that have words like dental formula or oral care on the package.
- Be patient. If you’ve never brushed your pets teeth before it will take some time for them to get used to it.
- Give praise and reward them with a treat upon completion (dental friendly, of course).
Dawson Dental Centres are knowledgeable, caring Toronto dentists in 17 locations across Ontario including Aurora, Barrie, Guelph, Newmarket and more. We offer General & Cosmetic Dentistry services such as dental implants, Invisalign invisible braces and dental veneers.